Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Run Dedicated to Grandma Simkins

Total distance = 3.03 (8:39; 8:32; 8:25)
Total time = 25:52 (8:31 pace)

My family began Wednesday-night dinners at my Grandma Simkins' in 2008 as a way to ensure we saw each other regularly and had something decent to eat at least once a week. Once-a-week became a bit too hectic, so we backed off to once every other week. This week, dinner was moved to Tuesday night, which worked just fine for me. On the menu tonight:  chili, lasagna, potato-beef casserole, bread, and cherry pie. Yes, this is a lot of food! My grandmother loves trying new recipes, but when she is afraid they won't turn out, she makes something as a back-up.

Adrienne and I went out around 5:00 and ran three miles. I love running in Eldridge now because of the new bike path connecting Eldridge and Long Grove. Before, I would run from her house to Highway 61 and then make my way back going through neighborhoods. Now I can run a more direct route and go as far as I want. The plan was to run with Adrienne, but Sam was being a bit of a pest and she pulled me for a good mile and a half. When we turned around we waited for Adrienne (well, it was more of Sam refusing to move forward until Adrienne got to us) and ran back with her. We went much faster than I wanted, but I kind of just wanted to finish and get Sam off of the leash.

My legs actually felt good; I definitely could have kept going. I'm trying to up my mileage and two-a-days every once in a while seem like a good way to do it. An easy day tomorrow should lead to a solid long run on Thursday. The plan is to run 6B46 and then get in six more miles. I want to get in my long run early so that I don't have to try to fit it in this weekend because I know that if I save it, I won't get it in.

The run this evening is dedicated to my Grandma Simkins. She is my mother's mother. Grandma lives in Eldridge and likes to sew/quilt and bake. She and my mom made me a t-shirt quilt for my high school graduation and then made me a beautiful purple and green quilt for my wedding. Most of my pot holders and towels, and all of my table cloths, are homemade by Grandma. She has made us girls purses, reusable grocery bags, wallets, pillow cases, you name it. She also has the greatest recipes. Looking for a delicious dessert that can claim to be somewhat healthy? Try her chocolate zucchini cake and/or bread. (It has zucchini, which makes it healthy, right?) Looking for a warm, hearty meal during the cold winter months? Try her potato soup. (No really, it's super good.) She is amazing.

When we were younger, my sisters, brother, and I would go to her house every Christmas and make cookies - waffle cookies, sugar cookies, peanut butter temptations, chocolate crinkles, kolachips, and dipped Ritz crackers. Yum. She lives along the Moonlight Chase course in Eldridge, so before we were old enough to run it, we would sit in lawn chairs and watch the runners go by while eating popsicles. Grandma and I have traveled to Florida for Natalie's graduation and to Pennsylvania for Gary's and Brian's graduations (once with Erin and once with Jessica).

One thing I love about my grandmother is that she is a strong woman. She doesn't take crap from anyone. If she has something to say, she will say it. I admire her for this. I love hearing stories from when she was younger. One time, when her children were still living in the house, there was carpet in the living room that she absolutely despised. She told my grandfather (who is no longer living) that she was going to get rid of it, and one day while he was at work, she tore it up and threw it out the window!

So, here is to my grandmother, who is always there for her children and grandchildren and who shows me that things in life come through hard work.

Grandma with the Zimmer female grandchildren and Mom.

With Natalie and Adrienne.

My mom and grandma. This is one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment