Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Morning Track Workout

This morning I got up and met a group at the Bettendorf Y at 5:00 a.m. to complete a track workout. I felt like I was cheating on the regular running group because they also meet at the Y at 5:00 to complete their 6B46 run. A special shout out to Phil P. for inviting me to this workout. As I said before, I had been going to the Augustana track and doing the CBRC track workout on Tuesday nights. That wasn't really working out for me too well, so this was a welcomed alternative.

We left the Y and ran a warm up to the Bettendorf track = 1.38 miles at 9:15 pace
Dave J. had the workout for us, and he divided the track into thirds. It was basically a fartlek workout; run fast, slow jog, run fast, etc. We did this for two miles, taking a break in the middle. 2.05 miles at what turned out to be 7:54 pace
Cool down back to the Y = 1.36 miles at 9:12 pace
Total miles = 4.8 (roughly)

I actually really enjoyed this workout. The miles flew by because the distance was broken up. Before I knew it, we had run a mile. My legs are a bit tired. I could tell my body is not used to running so quickly, and it took me a while to warm back up after the break.

I feel like I am more dedicated to my running, and I see that in others with whom I run. While at the track we ran into John Byrnes and his running partners who were completing a stair workout. I have run with him a few times on Saturday mornings. He and Rick Fountain are training for Leadville. Anyway, this lead me to think about the running community that surrounds me. Everyone is so supportive and friendly; when out running, people say hello and catch up a little bit. I love that there are so many options for early morning runners. Just today, one could run six miles continuously, complete a track workout, or run stairs at the Bettendorf track. Jay  G. actually took part in all three!

While on my way home, I felt like it was already eight o'clock when it was really just a little after six. Getting up early and completing my workout leaves the entire day ahead of me. I have decided to go with a mix of things for marathon training. Rather than go out and buy another training book, I am going to modify Jeff Galloway's plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment