Thursday, June 14, 2012

I Don't Even Need to Question if Roofing is a Workout...

Well, yesterday I took Sam for an easy four miles just to up my mileage for the week. As stated before, I would like to get to forty miles a week by the end of the summer. After plugging in the numbers, I feel like this will come when my long runs get, well, longer. I tried a two-a-day on Tuesday and found that it's probably not such a good idea to do after a track workout. Anyway, as I was running yesterday, I questioned even going four miles. My legs were tired, and I wanted to get in a long run of twelve miles today.  Looking back, I should have just stayed home. Here's why:

Jessica and Kyle are having their roof redone by none other than the family. My dad loves doing construction work. (No really, it's what he enjoys. Unlike education, where one might never see the impact one has, one can see exactly how much work was put in when tearing off a roof and putting a new one on) Well, this is one heck of a roof. The first section was completed over the weekend. Kyle rented a lift because the roof is super far off the ground and is too steep to stand on without a support.

With David and I having some time off, I offered for us to go to their house early on Wednesday and start tearing off a section so that when my dad and Kyle got there, the roof would be ready to have shingles laid. We got there around noon and, after trimming some tree branches with a chainsaw, David was ready to go. We hauled out everything and got to work. Since the roof was so steep, we start out on ladders. I'm a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to heights, so after five minutes I told David I would pick up the shingles he tore off and put them in the dumpster. He actually moved quickly enough with tear-off that this worked well. I did make him build a support because he was crawling around the roof and I was afraid he was going to slide off.

Fast forward to nine o'clock at night, when we were just finishing. Dad said something like, "Climb up that ladder a few more times and see if you get a run in tomorrow!" I just laughed and told him I would get in a long run regardless. Ha. Look who's laughing now! My alarm went off at 4:30 so I could meet the 6B46 group and I could not move. Even now, when I think about running, my lower legs turn to lead. I got used to going up and down the ladder, so I became the gopher. I took up cut shingles and got tools out of the garage. This doesn't sound like much, but I was constantly moving and now, I am paying for it. (And I wasn't even on the roof!)

Therefore, there will be no run today. David's brother is getting married this weekend, so we are heading to Sioux City today. I don't want to make my running inconvenience others, so I am only planning on getting in shorter runs. My twelve-miler will just have to be pushed back to Monday. So much for lofty goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment