Thursday, July 26, 2012

Run Dedicated to my Brother David

I stayed in bed this morning contemplating whether I wanted to get out and run or take the day off. I opted to run, more for Sam's benefit than my own. I think she loves having me home so that she can get out of the house and get some exercise, and it seems like we are getting back into shape together. (Right now she is asleep on the couch.)

My plan was to run 4 miles this morning, but I cut it short because I pulled my right hamstring. Actually, I'm pretty sure I pulled it Tuesday, ran on it yesterday, and then really felt it today. Total distance - 3.2 miles. Time - 27:54. Average pace - 8:49. Not bad, considering I felt like I was going much slower. I think I will hit up the bike tomorrow and begin working more bike workouts into my exercise routine.

Looking at the race calendar for the next few months, my plans have changed.

1. I thought about doing the DeWitt Triathlon but have decided against it. I'm sure I could do it, but it would be painful and I would hate my life. I'll get back to it next year.
2. Ouch Half Marathon - I'm playing this by ear. I'm registered for the half, but I am considering dropping down to the 5k. It really depends on my long runs the next few weeks.
3. Quad City Marathon - Instead of running the marathon, I am running the half. There was no way I could have gotten in my long runs overseas, and I am starting from scratch as it is. I am actually a little relieved that I'm going to be running the half because I feel much more comfortable at that distance.
4. Rails to Trails Marathon - November 4th. Erin said she is running this marathon, so I have opted to make this my marathon for this year. The date will give me more time to train, and it will be cooler, which always plays to my favor.

So there you have it. I am a little frustrated because I left on my trip in pretty good shape and I returned feeling like I lost everything. I know I can get back to where I was, but it takes so much work and pain to get there.

Today's run is dedicated to my actual brother David. (As opposed to Brother Dave. David is a common name in my family.) David will be a sophomore in high school and just turned sixteen. I was ten when he was born, and I remember being so excited to have a brother; I even made a scrapbook of his first year for the county fair. Our relationship is different than the ones with my sisters because we really didn't grow up in the same house; I went to college when he was eight years old. That being said, we get along well and I am so glad he is a part of our family. He gets along really well with my husband, and they like to play video games, watch action movies, and eat wings and pizza.

Not having any kids of my own yet, I have made it a priority to attend as many of his cross-country meets, track meets, and marching band shows as possible. He's also in concert band, and maybe I should make more of an effort to attend those concerts in order for him to see that sports aren't everything in life. But then, I'll leave that to his parents :). David has become a hard worker when it comes to running. He sets goals and works to achieve them. He was the only freshman at his districts to qualify in the top ten for state cross-country and he helped qualify the 4x800 team for state track. He has matured quite a bit, even since eighth grade. He is better able to take things in stride and consider the effect something might have - or won't have - in the long run. He also got his first job this summer working at Mycogen. He is growing up so quickly, and I truly think he is a great kid.

At Jessica and Kyle's wedding - he is now officially taller than me

RAGBRAI 2011 - Stopping for some breakfast burritos!

State Cross-Country 2011

David finishing the Quad City Triathlon 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment