Friday, July 20, 2012

My Last Day in Poland

It's hard to believe tomorrow morning at this time I will be on a plane with a destination of Newark, New Jersey. While I have had an amazing experience, I am ready to be back in Iowa.

Yesterday was amazing. I don't mean I had a pretty good time. I mean, I had experiences that I don't think I will ever have again. Monnie and I got up early, swam for half an hour, and then sat in the sauna. What a relaxing way to begin the day. We then got on the bus and went to a teachers' institute here in Warsaw. I was able to get an idea of how the Holocaust is taught to students in Poland. We then visited the last remaining part of the Warsaw Ghetto wall, the memorial at Mila 18, and the Umschlagplatz (the station where people were deported from Warsaw).

We were then given the afternoon off, so I went with a group to get something for lunch (again, I had chicken noodle soup). I walked around for a bit, saw some sites, and then went back to the hotel to get ready.

Okay, here is the experience:  We were taken to a replica of an old palace where we were treated to a private, exclusive Chopin recital performed by Maciej Poliszewski. He studied at Julliard and at the Music Academy in Moscow. It was amazing. We were in a small room that reminded me of Pemberley. The pianists face displayed all of the emotion of the music.

After dinner, we ate at Belvedere. Again, fantastic. We were treated to a three course meal consisting of salmon, duck, pears, and white chocolate mousse.

When we got back to the hotel, a few of us found a black and white movie playing outside of a cafe. Although it was in Polish, we grabbed some hot chocolates and enjoyed the end of the film.

This was the perfect day. Today we are off to Treblinka, and then tomorrow, we leave. I feel like I have been gone for ages, and yet I feel like there is so much more I need to experience. I will post pictures later as the wireless connection here is terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment